Carbon typescript, on onion-skin, brad-bound in steno
service binder with typed title. Pencil initials "S.N.B." in
upper corner of front wrapper. Name label of producer John
C. Wilson affixed to upper wrapper. A few scattered
revisions in pencil in an unknown hand. A preproduction
draft of this play, in all likelihood differing somewhat
from the version published by Random House in 1943.
play premiered at the Martin Beck Theatre on November 25,
1942 as a joint production of the Theatre Guild and the
Playwright's Company, staged by John C. Wilson and Alfred
Lunt, and ran 177 performances. It was adapted to the screen
by Francis Goodrich, et al, in 1948, starring Judy Garland
and Gene Kelly, under the direction of Vincent Minnelli,
with songs by Cole Porter.